ENVIRONMENTAL, HEALTH AND SAFETY AND FOODSTUFFS LEGAL UPDATE REPORT
Below please find a summary of selected relevant environmental, health and safety and foodstuffs legal developments that took place during June 2019.
1) Nursing Act
• Notice regarding the Creation of Categories of Persons to be Registered to Practice Nursing
This notice was already published in March 2019 and was now republished, but it is unsure why.
In terms of the notice the following categories are registered to practice nursing:
– Enrolled nurse
– General nurse
This withdraws the previous notice (GN R 176 GG 36237 of 8 March 2013).
2) Health Professions Act
• Regulations relating to the Qualifications for Registration of Basic Ambulance Assistants, Ambulance Emergency Assistants, Operational Emergency Care Orderlies and Paramedics – Draft Amendment
Draft amendments to the above Regulations were published for comment.
3) Agricultural Product Standards Act
• Draft Regulations relating to the Classification, Packing and Marking of Certain Raw Processed Meat Products intended for sale in the Republic of South Africa
The first draft Regulations were published for comment in October 2018.
Following comments from stake holders and interested parties the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries published the second draft for public comment.
No relevant provincial legislation was published during this month.
4) Msunduzi Local Municipality
The Water Services By-laws were amended.
5) uMzimvubu Local Municipality
The Building Regulations By-law was published.
6) City of Ekurhuleni
The Draft Public Transport By-law was published for comment.
7) Emfuleni Local Municipality
The following new by-laws were published:
• Air Quality Management By-laws
• Electricity Supply By-laws
• Fire Safety By-laws
• Solid Waste Management By-laws (however, still to enter into force).
8) Rustenburg Local Municipality
The following new by-laws were published although their date of coming into force will only be announced at a later stage:
• Outdoor Advertising By-law
• Fire Brigade Services By-law (once in force it will repeal the 2008 Fire Brigade Services By-law)
The following draft by-law was published for public comment:
• Draft Problem Buildings and Vacant Stands By-law.
9) City of Tshwane
The Arts, Culture, Heritage Resources and Cultural Institutions By-law was promulgated.
10) KwaDukuza Municipality
The Problem Buildings By-law was promulgated. This repeals the By-laws relating to Unsightly and Neglected Buildings and Premises.
11) Modimollle-Mookgophong Local Municipality
The Spatial Planning and Land Use Management By-law was promulgated.
12) Swellendam Local Municipality
The Building Plans By-law was published.
13) Ba-Phalaborwa Local Municipality
Various new by-laws were promulgated. For purposes of this update report the following are relevant:
• Electricity Supply By-law
• Waste Management By-law
14) Polokwane Local Municipality
The Fire Emergency Service By-law was published. This repeals notices AN 1771 of 23 December 1981 and AN 354 of 8 May 1957.
15) Mkhondo Local Municipality
The Electricity Supply By-law was published.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.