ENVIRONMENTAL, HEALTH AND SAFETY AND FOODSTUFFS LEGAL UPDATE REPORT (SOUTH AFRICA)
Below please find a summary of selected relevant environmental, health and safety and foodstuffs legal developments that took place during April 2021.
1) Marine Spatial Planning Act
This Act entered into force on 1 April 2021.
2) National Environmental Management Act
- Plastic Carrier Bags and Plastic Flat Bags Regulations, 2003 – Amendment
The 2003 Regulations were amended by introducing various deadlines and minimum percentages of post-consumer recyclate content. The first deadline (50%) applies from 1 January 2023, and by 1 January 2027 100% must be post-consumer recyclate content.
In addition, the manufacture, trade or commercial distribution of domestically produced or imported plastic carrier bags and plastic flat bags, for use within South Africa, other than those which comply with the Compulsory Specification for Plastic Carrier Bags and Flat Bags – VC 8087 -2013, is prohibited as of 7 April 2021.
3) Mine Health and Safety Act
- Guideline for the Compilation of a Mandatory Code of Practice for the Prevention of Flammable Gas Explosions in Mines other than Coal Mines
This new Guideline was published by the Chief Inspector of Mines.
- Guidance Note on the Management and Control of HIV in the SA Mining Industry
These Guidance Notes were published by the Chief Inspector of Mines.
4) Merchant Shipping Act
- Merchant Shipping (Training, Certification and Safe Manning) Regulations
These new Regulations were promulgated. They repeal the following:
- Merchant Shipping (Training, Certification and Safe Manning) Regulations, GN R 511 of 2013
- Merchant Shipping (Eyesight and Medical Examinations) Regulations, GN R 1197 of 2004.
No relevant provincial legislation was published during this month.
5) Harry Gwala District Municipality
The Municipal Health Services By-law was amended.
6) Dr JS Moroka Local Municipality
The Public Health By-law was promulgated.
7) Bushbuckridge Local Municipality
The Trading By-law was promulgated.
8) Umlalazi Municipality
The Outdoor Advertising By-laws were promulgated.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.
To download (and/or print this newsletter click here: Legal Update April 2021